I will be using this search filter for finding data of Oscar nominations and wins. I plan to search for all nominees and winners in the categories screenwriting, directing and editing from the year 2000 onward.
2. Describe the dataset. What kind of data does it contain?
The data is customized to the search filters that are applied. For what I want to find out, I ran two searches: all females - nominees and winners - in the aforementioned categories between my time period and the same search but for males. Unfortunately, the data sets only come up as PDFs, so I have to manually transcribe the data into an excel sheet.
3. Is there anything about your data that you don’t understand? (i.e. what a column heading means). How will you find this out?
The data is a pretty simple set since I can customize it to what I want to know. The only issue with the data is that if a group of people is nominated together, males can show up on the female data and vice-versa. I therefore have to take the extra step to search any unisex names to confirm the gender. I also have to be careful about if there are any nominees/winners outside of these two genders. So far this has not come up in the data, which could be an interesting point as well.
4. What are some questions you hope to answer with your data? List at least three. (you don’t need the answers at this point)
- What is the ratio of men/women nominated for "creator" roles since 2000?
- Are women simply not winning, or are they not being nominated?
- Has there been an improvement in the diversity of representation over time?
This will be an interesting data set to analyze. However, it does seem as if you will have to do a lot of extra leg work in order to get the correct and relevant information to answer your proposed questions accurately.
ReplyDeleteJamie: Your analysis of your chosen data set was very understandable and concise. I appreciated that. The data set itself sounds very interesting, and the questions you intend to ask about it sound very interesting as well. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteI'm quite excited to see how your questions will eventually be answered with your data set. Like Shannen said, it does seem a lot more extra work for yourself, but I can see you love the topic! I am also interested to see if there has been an improvement in the diversity of representation!
ReplyDeleteLike the others said, you've added a bit of extra work for yourself, but it's clearly an interesting topic for you to research. I'm interested to see what you do with it.
ReplyDeleteLike you have said, it is nice that you can customize the data to what you want to know. I like how one of your questions is directed towards whether women are just not winning or not being nominated. I think you've chosen some interesting questions to analyze from this dataset.
ReplyDelete